Here is how I decided my "theme" for this round of Blogging Through the Alphabet. As I was going through old blog posts recently, I noticed I have some neat ideas for activities and crafts that I did with in the past. Unfortunately, I always included them in my weekly wrap up posts or more recently in Poppins Book Nook posts, so they sort of got buried. I can't really share them as individual activities or create pinnable images to promote them and share my ideas, which is why I started this blog in the first place (to share my ideas with others who work with children). So, I am going to make new posts for these ideas.
I have found there is a huge benefit in this strategy. I am remembering ideas that I had forgotten, which means I can now do these activities with the younger children. I will be sharing the old pictures and possibly sharing new pictures of the younger children participating. In fact, this is the second week where I wasn't sure what I was going to post about, and through searching my blog I found activities I had completely forgotten about.
Several years ago, when we were on the letter F, it was also Dr. Seuss's birthday, so we read One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish. I decided to make a kind of fishing game, though it is fishing in reverse.
F is for. . . Fishy Alphabet Match Game
That probably doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? Here, let me explain. The girls were told that the fish had all jumped out of the pond and they had to flip them over, make the match, and put them back in the pond to save them.
I found a fish image I liked on Google images and printed out enough for each letter of the alphabet. I then wrote the capital letters on them.
The next step was to make the pond. I printed out 4 sheets of fish on blue construction paper, making sure there were 26 fish. Then I taped them together, folded them up, and cut out the curve on the corner. The lower case letters were written in random order.
The magnets on the back of the fish are really optional. The girls like the idea of going fishing, even if it was in reverse, so I put some magnets on them and we used a safety pin on yarn. I had used magnetic strip, which if I remember right, didn't work very well.
It was a fun way for the girls to practice matching upper and lower case letters. As a bonus, it was quite easy to put together.